GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - One of the greatest joys of the holiday season is the joy of sharing with friends, family or those in need.
One simple way to help our holiday stressed friends and family, a neighbor in need or the elderly grand-parent is to prepare a delicious sharable entrée to help them simplify meal times over the holiday season. Even better, treat yourself by making a double-batch, one to enjoy at home and one to give!
- Heat and eat casserole and sheet pan meals are simple to prepare and share.
- Casseroles with cheese and/or cream sauces make delicious comfort foods for sharing.
- Keep your dishes at home and use disposable aluminum pans for giving.
- Find more recipes at www.milkmeansmore.org
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 (13.25-ounce) package whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 (7-ounce) jar julienne-cut, sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained (oil reserved) and patted dry
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 ounces fresh baby kale
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
If baking immediately after making, preheat oven to 350° F.
Spray a 9x13 or larger baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain when finished cooking.
Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of reserved sundried tomato oil (or olive oil) and add chicken and onions. Cook until chicken is cooked through and onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add kale and sundried tomatoes. Cook until kale is wilted, stirring frequently. Add cream cheese, milk, and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and cook until cream cheese is melted and incorporated. Add pasta and stir to coat pasta with all other ingredients. Pour into prepared baking dish and top with Mozzarella cheese.
If baking immediately after making, place in preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. If you like a softer noodle, cover with foil during baking.
If freezing, cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil and place in freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove plastic and cover with foil. Place in cold oven and turn oven to 350° F. Bake for 45 minutes covered and then uncover and continue baking for 30 minutes longer or until heated through.