GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) October is the month when fire departments across the country promote fire prevention and safety in the local community. This year’s theme is “Don’t Wait – Check the Date! Replace Smoke Alarms Every 10 Years.” From fire department Open Houses to events with a focus on fire prevention education, there are numerous opportunities for children and families to learn about fire safety, injury prevention and smoke alarm maintenance close to Where You Live. If you have questions about fire prevention and safety or need a smoke alarm, e-mail email@example.com or call toll free 1-844-978-4400.
(Please note: event dates and times may be subject to change. Please check with your local fire department for more details).
Allegan Fire District’s First Annual Meet and Treat
Allegan Fire District Station #1
300 Monroe Street
Allegan, MI 49010
(269) 673-4459Monday October 31, 20165:30 – 8 p.m.
- This event will be held in conjunction with the city-wide trick or treat activities. The fire department will also host a candy check
Dorr Township Fire Department
Fire Prevention Weekend Pancake Breakfast
4196 18th Street
Dorr, MI 49323Saturday October 15, 20168 a.m. – Noon
- Besides the pancake breakfast, the fire department will be holding basket raffles for men, women, kids and couples as well as kids games and face painting. Donations are welcome for the breakfast and to support the fire department.
Leighton Township Fire Department
Public Safety Event
(At the Moline Ballfields): 1148 – 144th Avenue
Wayland, MI 49348Saturday October 8, 201610 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- We will have fire equipment from the Leighton Township Fire Department and the Dorr Fire Department
- A vehicle extrication demonstration
- Michigan State Police Dive Team
- Michigan State Police K9 Unit
- Township Sheriff’s Deputies
- Allegan County SWAT Team.
- The Allegan Central Dispatch will have information on the County 911 system and the Allegan County Sheriff’s Department will have some child car seat information and other public safety activities and information
- We will also have a bounce house and other activities for the kids
Saugatuck Township Fire District
Fire Prevention Open House
3342 Blue Star Highway
Saugatuck, MI 49453Sunday October 2, 2016Noon – 3 p.m.
- Bring your family and friends to meet your firefighters and first responders.
- Fire prevention games
- Vehicle extrication demonstration
- Live burn sprinkler demonstration
- Electronics recycling (no tube TVs)
Wayland Fire Department
Fire Prevention / Safety Open House
160 West Superior Street
Wayland, MI 49348Saturday October 8, 20162 – 4 p.m.Any questions feel free to call (269) 792-6300
- The Wayland Fire Department will be having fire apparatus on display allowing the children to touch a truck.
- Firefighters will be talking about fire safety and prevention, distributing fire safety literature and have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms available.
- Free refreshments including cookies will be available
Olivet Fire Department
Halloween Open House
117 East Street
Olivet, MI 49076
Monday October 31, 2016
6 – 8 p.m.
- Free cider and donuts
- Meet your Olivet Firefighters and tour the fire trucks
- Meet Firepup
- Learn how to schedule your free smoke alarm installation in the Olivet Fire response area through WOTV’s Operation Save A Life program.
13th Annual Family Fire Safety Day
Lowes of Portage
Portage Department of Public Safety – Fire Division
E.S.C.A.P.E. Fire Safety / WOOD TV8 – WOTV 4
5108 South Westnedge Avenue
Portage, MI 49002Saturday October 22, 201610 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Meet Jake the Fire Safety Dog
- Free 9-volt batteries and smoke alarms will be available (while supplies last)
- The E.S.C.A.P.E. Smoke Demonstration trailer will teach families how to be safe from fire
- Tour the Portage Public Safety Fire Engine, Life EMS Ambulance and learn about smoke alarms from Safe Kids of Kalamazoo County
- Free games and prizes provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Post Community Credit Union for those who know the correct answers to the safety questions presented throughout the day
Cannon Township Fire Department
Cannon Township Charity Breakfast
Donald E. Goodell Fire Station #2
6878 Belding Road
Rockford, MI 49341Saturday October 1, 20168 – 10:30 a.m.
- We are hosting a pancake breakfast at our Station #2
- Donations will be accepted with all the proceeds going toward the Great Lakes Burn Camp which helps children who have been victimized by fire
- This event is sponsored by Huntington Bank.
Dutton Fire Department
South Kent Community Expo
East Kentwood High School
6230 Kalamazoo Avenue
Kentwood, MI 49508Saturday October 1, 201610 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- The event consists of approximately 90 vendors, restaurant taste test and multiple community agencies including the Kent County Sheriff’s Department, possibly the Kentwood Police Department, Life EMS, Kentwood Fire Department, Dutton Fire Department, Cutlerville Fire Department and others
- We will be conducting at least two extrication demonstrations and several fire extinguisher demos as well
- There will also be many trucks on display.
Dutton Fire Department
Operation Save A Life Smoke Alarm Installation
Dutton Village Mobile Home Park
6720 West Mill Run
Dutton, MI 49316Saturday October 22, 2016All Day
- In conjunction with the American Red Cross the Dutton Fire Department will be installing smoke alarms in the mobile home park.
- The Red Cross will canvas the 330 mobile home neighborhood the week before.
- Those who wish to have smoke alarms installed will be placed on a list. Members of the Red Cross, several volunteers as well as Dutton Firefighters will install the alarms on the 22nd.
- Other home owners in the township area can also get smoke alarms installed on the 22nd by contacting the Red Cross at (616) 456-8661.
Grandville Fire Department
Fire Department Open House
3215 Wilson Avenue
Grandville, MI 49418Tuesday October 11, 20166 – 8 p.m.
- Meet the firefighters and try on their gear
- Meet the Crash Test Dummies and enjoy some popcorn, cookies and juice
- Check out the inside of a fire truck, police car and an ambulance
- Meet Sparky® The Fire Dog and take pictures with him
- Best of all, learn about fire safety!
Muskegon Township / North Muskegon Fire Departments
Fire Prevention Open House
North Muskegon Fire Department
1102 Ruddiman Drive
North Muskegon, MI 49445Thursday September 22, 20166 – 8 p.m.
- There will be a static display of fire department equipment
- Attendees will be able to spray a model house with water
- Other activities include smoke/safety trailer, burn cells-showing the operation of smoke alarms and a sprinkled building vs. an un-sprinkled building
- Sign up for a free smoke alarm installation
- Fire prevention materials will be distributed
- Meet the Muskegon County Hazmat team, vehicle extrication demonstration, Pro Med Ambulance, Smokey Bear from the Michigan DNR
- Free hot dog dinner sponsored by G&L (while supplies last) and much more!
Norton Shores Fire Department
Fire Prevention and Public Safety Open House
1100 East Pontaluna Road
Norton Shores, MI 49444Saturday September 24, 201610 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Featured appearances and activities include: The E.S.C.A.P.E. Fire Safety smoke demonstration trailer and Jake the Fire Safety Dog
- Michigan State Police will bring their arson dog and their new Drone
- Fire extinguisher training
- Kids activities
- Fire truck rides
- Frawings and prizes to win a boy’s and girl’s bicycle.
Crockery Township Fire Department
Fire Prevention Open House
16875 Main Street
Nunica, MI 49448Monday October 10, 20167 p.m.