GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — With high temperatures expected on Tuesday and Wednesday, cities and counties in West Michigan are offering ways for the public to cool off.
The Homeless Coalition of Calhoun County posted on its Facebook page to share a few cooling centers it will have set up this week:
- SHARE Center will be open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. with water distribution
- Haven of Rest Ministries will be open 24 hours
- Battle Creek Shelter will be open 24 hours
In addition to those cooling centers, the city of Battle Creek said the Salvation Army on Capital Avenue NE will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The city also noted the following cooling centers in Albion as well:
- The public library will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. with the children’s room from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tractor Supply will be open for pet owners and pets.
- Open swim at Opportunity High School from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday.
- Albion College’s Ludington Center will be open Tuesday and Wednesday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- The lobby of the Albion Department of Public Safety will be open 24 hours.
There will be free admission to Willard Beach in Battle Creek from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The city of Kalamazoo posted on its Facebook page that it will be opening fire hydrants during the extremely hot weather. They will be open daily from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. by city staff:
- Back end of Interfaith (building 1038) far NW corner
- Burrell and Lawrence
- Krom and Clay
- Washington and March
- Sherwood at Roosevelt Apartments
- Clarence and Jackson
- Hays Park and March
- Hays Park and James
- Charlotte and Sherwood
- Northway and Princeton
- Fairbanks and Center
- Church and Norway
The Ottawa County emergency management director has shared where you can find public cooling centers:
- The Grand Haven Community Center, located at 421 Columbus Ave., is opening its doors from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Gateway Mission, formerly known as the Holland Rescue Mission, will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Herrick District Library, located at 300 South River Ave., will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Community Action House at 739 Paw Paw Drive in Hollandwill be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Barber School at 102 W. Savidge Street in Spring Lake will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Coopersville United Methodist Church at 105 68th Avenue N in Coopersville will open its doors from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Don’t see your event on our list? Send us the information by emailing ReportIt@woodtv.com. Be sure to include a link.