PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — The West Michigan Whitecaps have narrowed a list of hundreds of food ideas to just 10 finalists.
Fans, including the 24 Hour News 8 Daybreak team, began submitting ideas last month as part of an annual competition to add a new item to Fifth Third Ballpark’s meu.
Voting will run through Friday, March 8 on the Whitecaps’ website, and the winner will be announced later in the month.
Here is the complete list and description of the 10 finalists:
- Cow-A-Bunga Burger – Popular Hawaiian cuisine includes SPAM (yes SPAM!), pineapple (duh) and bacon (we assume, because duh, it’s bacon). That’s why we took all three of those ingredients and used them as cheeseburger toppings. Aloha indeed.
- Deep Fried Jellybeans – You certainly won’t find this delectable snack during your Halloween trick-or-treating. Even people who avoid the black jelly beans will be delighted. (Hot take: black jelly beans are delightful.)
- Fried Tequickles – Te-kee-ckles? Te-quick-les? Look, pronounce it however you like, but these pickles are breaded the deep fried and served with a tequila mango sauce, so they are sure to start a party with your tastebuds. Worms not included.
- Marge’s Donut Sundae – Forget a mask and pads, you’ll just need a napkin after you catch this donut shaped like a catcher’s mitt. This oversized donut is topped with vanilla ice cream, caramel and chocolate syrups, M&Ms, sprinkles and whipped cream and comes in at just under 3,000 calories. There’s a reason Marge’s Donut Den is a West Michigan institution.
- Oinkurrito – Here piggy piggy! Fire-braised pork is topped with bacon and cheddar mac-n-cheese and then rolled into a 12-inch flour tortilla for a savory delight. It’s OK to drool.
- River Rascal (Daybreak Anchor Casey Jones’ entry) – Take me out to the ball game, take me out with the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, heaped on a hot dog for a hearty snack. Smother it with peanut butter and no-bean chili, topped with crunchy pickles for fun. You may want 1, 2, 3 more of these before it’s all said and done.
- Rocky Balburrito – Ever wonder how Rocky made it up those stairs so quickly? It’s because of the wonderful and nutritious food in Philadelphia. The most famous of which is the cheesesteak, which we’ve rolled into a burrito with liberal doses of cheese, onions and green peppers and then deep fried. After one of these you’ll feel like a champ.
- Tidal Wave – You won’t need to surf Nazaré, Portugal to catch this huge wave. This healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream coated in Fruity Pebbles and rolled burrito-style in blue cotton candy will make you want to wave goodbye to your diet.
- Twinkie the Pig – Urban legend has it that a Twinkie’s shelf life is infinite. But if they were wrapped in bacon and fried – as we like to do – then there’s no way they would last that long. Not. A. Chance.
- Unicorn Popcorn – Unicorns may be mythical creatures, but this dessert is the real deal. A cup of cotton candy mixed with rainbow Dippin’ Dots and rainbow popcorn to create a kaleidoscope of colorful flavor (and sugar).
>>Photos: Whitecaps 2019 food contest finalists