GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Tens of thousands of runners will take to the streets of Grand Rapids Saturday morning for the Amway River Bank Run. To accommodate them, many streets will close with some beginning Friday afternoon.
The first closure will go into place at 3 p.m. Friday when Ottawa Avenue will close, one lane will remain open to access the government parking ramp. A complete closure will be in place by 6 p.m.
>>Inside woodtv.com: What to know before you go to River Bank Run
Following the closure of Ottawa Avenue will be the closure of Lyon Street between Monroe and Ionia avenues.
Closures start early Saturday for the big race.
3:30 a.m. Saturday
- Monroe Avenue between Michigan and Louis (Lyon Street intersection closed) − Limited access to Grand Rapids Government parking lots until approximately 5:15am from Michigan Street.
4:30 a.m. Saturday
- Monroe Avenue between Lyon and Louis − Limited access through Pearl Street/Monroe Avenue intersection (East/West traffic only) − Limited access to Monroe Center from Monroe.
5:00 a.m. Saturday
- Ottawa from Pearl to Fulton.
- Monroe Avenue at Pearl closed to thru traffic − Limited access to Ellis Midtowne Lot until 5:30 a.m.
6:45 a.m. Saturday
- All 5K course streets, including Market to Cherry Street.
- US-131 at Pearl, northbound and southbound ramps will be closed between approximately 6:45 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
7:25 a.m. Saturday
7:30 a.m. Saturday
- Westbound Wilson Avenue between 28th and Butterworth in Grandville.
- Butterworth between Wilson and Veterans Memorial Drive in Walker.
7:55 a.m. Saturday
- All downtown streets along the 25K course.
- Veterans Memorial Drive between Butterworth and Maynard in Walker.
- Maynard between Veterans Memorial Drive and Butterworth in Walker.
8:15 a.m. Saturday
- Butterworth between Maynard and Gunnison.
- Remainder of 25K course streets will be closed approximately 15 minutes before the lead participant of each event approaches downtown.
Some streets will be closed into the afternoon and evening.
Streets that will remain closed until approximately 12 p.m. are Pearl between Monroe Avenue and Ionia, Monroe Center between Monroe Avenue and Ionia, Louis between Monroe Avenue and Ionia, Fulton between Winter and Ionia, Monroe Avenue between Michigan and Fulton.
Monroe Avenue between Pearl and Michigan will open at approximately 11 a.m. Saturday.
Some streets will be closed until 5 p.m. Saturday. Those are Ottawa between Michigan and Pearl and Lyon between Monroe Avenue and Ionia.
Projected Ramp Closings
- Eastbound and westbound I-196 off ramps to Market will be closed between approximately 8 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. Saturday.
- Northbound and southbound US-131 off ramps to Market will be closed between approximately 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Saturday.
- Northbound and southbound US-131 off ramps to Pearl will be closed between 6:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
If you have question on where to park, Amway River Bank Run has complied a guide to help.