GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Finally: It’s football season.
The Football Frenzy returned Thursday as the high school season kicks off. Since it’s the first week, there will be even more games on Football Frenzy Friday.
On Thursday, we shined the spotlight on these three games:
- Holt lost to Caledonia: 0-35
For the Scots, you couldn’t have pictured a better way to start the season. Caledonia rolled out 35 points and earned a shutout. Senior QB Mason McKenzie rushed for two scores while throwing for one as well.
- Sparta lost to Oakridge: 14-30
From the start, this one was all in favor of the home team Eagles. Oakridge put together three long drives on their first three possessions, scoring on all of them while taking away valuable time for a comeback from Sparta. Oakridge’s defense was stifling out of the gate as well, forcing Sparta into a punt and interception right away. The Eagles led it 22-8 at halftime and walked away with the victory.
- Whitehall won over Unity Christian: 54-26
In a game that was tightly contested going into halftime, Whitehall held a one point lead, 27-26, in what was a track meet. In the second half, it was all Vikings. They scored 29 unanswered points in the second half to pull away and start the season with a big victory.
We also sent crews out around West Michigan to cover these games (listed alphabetically by home team):
- Greenville lost to Allendale: 7-29
- Coopersville won over Big Rapids 42-19
- Grant lost to Comstock Park 14-24
- Portage Central lost to East Lansing 15-21
- Jenison lost to Forest Hills Central: 14-29
- Wyoming lost to Forest Hills Northern: 7-48
- Grandville won over Grand Blanc 49-25
- Owosso won over Wyoming Kelloggsville: 42-18
- Fruitport won over Kenowa Hills: 32-20
- Lowell won over Mattawan: 48-28
- Montague won over Spring Lake 20-17
- Central Montcalm won over Morley Stanwood 38-0
- West Ottawa won over Northview 27-16
- Kent City won over Newaygo: 20-0
- Three Rivers won over Paw Paw: 32-6
- Vicksburg lost to Portage Northern: 27-41
- Grand Haven lost to Reeths-Puffer: 20-32
- East Grand Rapids lost to Rockford: 7-48
- Hudsonville lost to Saline: 15-24
- Hastings won over Thornapple Kellogg 30-20
—News 8’s Anna Skog contributed to this report.
CORRECTION: An earlier edition of this story listed Montague as the home team vs. Spring Lake. The game will be played at Spring Lake. We regret the error.