GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — A suspect in two shootings who was arrested after a standoff in Grand Rapids is now facing felony charges.
Frederick Gibbs, 24, was formally charged Wednesday with assault with intent to murder and two counts of possessing a weapon as a felon.
Grand Rapids Police Sgt. Terry Dixon told 24 Hour News 8 Gibbs was taken into custody without incident around 3:50 p.m. Tuesday.
Police had been looking for Gibbs for more than two months. He was wanted on four charges, including attempted murder, linked to a July 2015 shooting in Grand Rapids. One man was shot in the shoulder in that incident on S. Division Avenue. His injuries were not considered life-threatening.
Sgt. Dixon said a tip to the FBI led authorities to a home in the 800 block of 5th Street NW. Members of the FBI Fugitive Task Force spotted Gibbs on the porch of the home. When he saw them, he fled into the house. He surrendered after a short negotiation, GRPD said.
In a tweet posted on GRPD’s Twitter account, police asked neighbors to stay inside their homes during the “barricade situation,” which began around 3 p.m. They also asked others to avoid the area.
A judge Wednesday denied bond for Gibbs. His next court hearing is scheduled for March 24.
If convicted on Tuesday’s series of charges, Gibbs will serve a minimum of 25 years in prison.