GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — West Michigan residents looking to add a furry member to their family can do it for free on Saturday, May 5.
That’s when BISSELL Pet Foundation’s Empty the Shelters event returns.
“Kitten season is upon us so it’s imperative to empty shelters now,” said foundation spokesperson Holly Kroeze.
For the first time, the free adoption event has gone national: 112 shelters in 13 states are taking part. Dozens of Michigan shelters are participating, including the following West Michigan organizations:
- Al-Van Humane Society in South Haven
- Barry County Animal Shelter in Hastings
- Cannonsville Critters in Grandville
- Cat Tales Rescue in Muskegon
- Cober’s Canine Rescue in Rockford
- Companion Cats, Inc. in Battle Creek
- Crash’s Landing in Grand Rapids
- Family Paws Rescue in Grand Rapids
- Friends of Detroit Animal Care and Control at BISSELL Pet Foundation in Walker
- Harbor Humane Society in West Olive
- Heaven Can Wait Animal Haven at BISSELL Pet Foundation in Walker
- Humane Society of West Michigan in Walker
- Ionia County Animal Shelter in Ionia
- Kalamazoo Animal Rescue in Kalamazoo
- Kent County Animal Shelter in Grand Rapids
- Muskegon Humane Society in Muskegon
- Pound Buddies Animal Shelter and Adoption Center in Muskegon
- SPCA of Southwest Michigan in Kalamazoo
- Unleashed Love Pet Rescue at BISSELL Pet Foundation in Walker
- Van Buren County Animal Control in Hartford
- Wishbone Pet Rescue Alliance at BISSELL Pet Foundation in Walker
“For us, Empty the Shelters is about finding the right homes for pets. You know, we’ve found homes for nearly 10,000 pets since we started our empty the shelter initiative. And for us, that’s awesome,” said Kroeze.
Each adopted animal will go home with a box of donated pet food, treats, toys and wellness information. People who adopt a dog must still pay for a dog license.
BISSELL Pet Foundation says potential pet owners will still need to follow all regular adoption procedures the shelters normally require. The Kent County Animal Shelter is one organization that’s requiring adopters to preregister ahead of the event, at the following times:
- Thursday, May 3, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 4, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
All pre-registrations must be in person at the shelter, located at 740 Fuller NE in Grand Rapids. Would-be pet owners must provide a valid ID, proof of updated vaccines for any other animals in their home, and proof of home ownership. Landlords will also be contacted to determine if pets are allowed.
The free adoption event runs from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at KCAS.