Underground fire outside DeVos Place in Grand Rapids

News
devos place underground fire 071016_228242

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — An underground fire prompted emergency crews to shut down Monroe Avenue in downtown Grand Rapids late Saturday night.

Grand Rapids Firefighters said the fire involves electrical wiring underground.

Shortly after midnight, fire crews shut down the road as smoke could be seen coming out of a manhole in front of the DeVos Place convention center near Monroe Avenue and Michigan Street.

Fire officials said they were waiting for Consumer’s Energy to cut the power before attempting fire suppression efforts.

A strong burning plastic smell accompanied the smoke emanating from the ground.

Fire crews said they did not believe there was a threat to the convention center. The fire was reported by a security guard who noticed the smoke and called emergency responders.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links