GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Construction on a new westbound I-196 on-ramp from Division Avenue in downtown Grand Rapids begins Monday.
City officials said Ionia Avenue north of Michigan Street and the eastbound I-196 on-ramp will be closed Monday. The detour for Ionia traffic will be to Michigan Street to Monroe Avenue to Mason Street.
Due to the I-196 on-ramp closures, westbound drivers will be detoured to Michigan Street to the Lane Avenue on-ramp. Eastbound drivers will be detoured to Michigan Street to the College Avenue on-ramp.
The eastbound I-196 on-ramp at Ionia Avenue will reopen in late April, according to the city.
In June, the city says Division Avenue will be closed between Michigan Street and the westbound I-196 on-ramp.
Detour tours will be marked and maps posted online.
The $1.87 million project, which is expected to be completed in July, will also include the following:
- Reconstruction of Ionia Avenue from Michigan Street to the Ionia North parking lot;
- End Ionia Avenue south of the Ionia North parking lot;
- Drivers will be able to access Division Avenue from Michigan Street via Ionia Avenue;
- Make Ionia Avenue to a two-way street between the Ionia North parking lot and Fairbanks Street;
- Remove on-street parking on the west side of Ionia Avenue between the Ionia North parking lot and Fairbanks Street;
- Remove all on-street parking on Ionia Avenue between Michigan Street and the westbound I-196 on-ramp;
- Remove the sidewalk on the west side of Ionia Avenue between Michigan Street and the westbound I-196 on-ramp and add one on the east side of Ionia.
The city said it’s coordinating the project with the Michigan Department of Transportation’s westbound I-196 construction to “minimize traffic disruptions.”