GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — If you’re traveling this Labor Day weekend, good news: the Michigan Department of Transportation is suspending most of its projects statewide to ease traffic backups.
From 3 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Tuesday, MDOT will lift lane restrictions on 106 of 151 projects statewide.
MDOT is also reminding drivers that the Mackinac Bridge will be closed due to the Annual Bridge Walk between 6:30 a.m. and noon on Labor Day. In contrast, the numerous road and sidewalk projects have forced Grand Rapids to cancel its Labor Day bridge walk out of “concerns of participant safety.”
>>Inside woodtv.com: Map of current traffic conditions
While MDOT is suspending most of its projects, many of the major ones in West Michigan will remain in place, including the following:
- I-96 in Grand Rapids: Lane closures and a traffic shift between M-21/Fulton Street and Leonard Street.
- I-96 in Grand Rapids: All eastbound lanes closed at Leonard Street with traffic detoured onto southbound US-131 to eastbound I-196.
- I-96 in Ionia County: Traffic shifts in place near Cutler Road. Cutler Road is closed over I-96.
- I-196 in Grand Rapids: Lane closures and a traffic shift between Fuller Avenue and M-44 (East Beltline Avenue).
- I-196 in Kent and Ottawa counties: Lane closures and a traffic shift between 44th Street and 32nd Avenue. Eastbound I-196 traffic must exit to eastbound M-6. The westbound M-6 ramp to eastbound I-196 is closed.
- M-37/State Street in Newaygo: Lane closures in each direction over the Muskegon River with a traffic shift.
- M-66 in Lake Odessa: Northbound lane closed between M-50 and I-96 with traffic detoured via M-50, Jordan Lake Road and Portland Road.
- M-89 in Allegan: has lane closures in each direction over the Kalamazoo River, between Jenner Drive and State Street.
- M-120/Holton Road in Muskegon County: Eastbound lanes closed between Giles Road and Getty Street. Detour: Giles Road to Getty Street. One lane is open on westbound M-120.