Sturgis house fire caused by ‘careless smoking’

News

STURGIS, Mich. (WOOD) — Authorities say a house fire in Sturgis that sent one person to the hospital was caused by careless smoking.

Firefighters were initially told that there was smoke coming from a home in the 300 block of S. Clay Street around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday and possibly two people were trapped inside.

Sturgis police officers arrived at the home first and tried to go inside, but were forced back because of the smoke and heat.

The Sturgis Fire Department arrived a short time later and quickly searched the home to make sure all of the residents were out.

The fire was contained to one room and was quickly extinguished, although the second floor of the home was badly damaged.

Firefighters remained on scene until around 3 a.m. to put out hot spots.

One of the occupants of the home was taken to Sturgis Hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

After talking to witnesses and looking at physical evidence at the scene, authorities determined the fire was caused by careless smoking.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links