DOWAGIAC, Mich. (WOOD) — Investigators say lightning possibly sparked a fire at a Dowagiac home the tenants had moved into several days earlier.
Neighbors spotted flames coming from the home in the 200 block of Bradley Street around 9:10 p.m. Sunday. Crews arrived several minutes later to flames showing on three sides of the home’s second floor.
With help from the Pokagon and Indian Lake volunteer fire departments, the Dowagiac Fire Department got the fire under control about an hour after the first call.
Investigators say storms had moved through the area just a few hours before, and a neighbor noticed a nearby lightning strike at that time.
Authorities say the homeowner had recently bought the home and he and the tenants did not have insurance.
No one was injured in the fire.