Dog killed in house fire near South Haven

Southwest Michigan
Geneva Township fire 010219 2_1546428676732.jpg.jpg

GENEVA TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A dog was killed in a house fire in Van Buren County Tuesday night.

It happened around 10:15 p.m. at 11050 60th Street near 12th Avenue in Geneva Township, near South Haven.

The homeowner told authorities the smoke alarm was going off when he returned home. Heavy smoke was coming from the basement near a wood-burning stove, according to the South Haven Area Emergency Services. 

When firefighters arrived on scene, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

A family dog was killed in the fire. There were no reports of human injuries.

SHAES said water had to be brought to the scene, which made putting out the fire challenging.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links