KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — The man accused of burning down an adult entertainment store in Kalamazoo last year is set to stand trial.
On Jan. 11, a Kalamazoo County District Court judge found Mitchell Hapner competent to stand trial. Hapner then waived his preliminary hearing and his case was sent on to circuit court.
Hapner faces charges of arson and fleeing police after allegedly setting fire to Hollywood Nights in February 2015. The building was destroyed.
Witnesses saw a man, apparently Hapner, fleeing the scene while carrying an ax. He was later arrested after leading police on a brief car chase and then crashing.
At the time, police said Hapner told investigators he set the first because he was trying to eradicate pornography.
Family members said he had been suffering from mental illness.