Police: Unattended candle sparks fire at Kalamazoo home

News

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Police are blaming an unattended candle for causing a fire that badly damaged a home in Kalamazoo.

Officers with the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety were called to the home in the 900 block of Mills Street around 6:45 p.m. Tuesday.

When they arrived, officers found an active fire in the second floor of the home which had been renovated into two separate apartments.

It took firefighters about an hour to get the fire under control due to flames on the stairwell leading up to the second floor apartment.

A release from Kalamazoo Public Safety says the home was badly damaged and was believed to have been started by an unattended candle in the bedroom on the first floor. The fire marshal continues to investigate.

No one was injured in the fire.

Kalamazoo Public Safety says the fire spread quickly when the lone resident did not call 911 immediately when smoke detectors went off and the smell of smoke was noticed.

Authorities encourage residents to be cautious when using candles and open flames and don’t leave candles unattended.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links