HOLLAND, Mich. (WOOD) — Three people sought medical treatment after a small chemical release at the Holland Aquatic Center.
Firefighters were called to the aquatic center on Maple Avenue at 22nd Street shortly before noon Monday because of the spill, which they described as “small and contained.”
The building was evacuated, the Holland Department of Public Safety said.
Three people went to Holland Hospital for treatment after they inhaled fumes, Ottawa County Emergency Management Director Lou Hunt said. Holland DPS said they experienced “minor respiratory irritation.”
Authorities say a small amount of the liquid sanitizer sodium hypochlorite vaporized while being pumped into a bulk container in the building. It got into the air and spread through the building.
The building was ventilated and the problem resolved.
There was no liquid spill.
If you were at the aquatic center when the release happened and have any skin, eye or respiratory irritation, seek medical treatment. If you can’t breathe, call 911.
Emergency responders said other properties nearby were not affected.