Ottawa Co. woman seriously burned in fire on Christmas

Ottawa County

CHESTER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — An Ottawa County woman was rushed to a Grand Rapids hospital on Christmas after a cigarette caught her bathrobe on fire.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office says around 4:09 p.m., deputies were called to a home in the 22000 block of 24th Avenue, between Hoover and Truman streets in Chester Township, about 9 miles northwest of Sparta.

Sgt. Rick Sykes with the sheriff’s office says a 68-year-old woman had dropped her cigarette on her robe, causing it to ignite. The woman’s mobility was limited, so she called for help.

Sykes says her 67-year-old husband responded, calling 911 and pulling her to the floor to smother the flames.

A deputy at the scene said the man struggled to extinguish the fire. A neighbor told 24 Hour News 8 the husband suffers from heart issues and is on oxygen.

Investigators say the woman suffered “extensive” burns. An ambulance took her to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital where she was listed in serious condition Tuesday evening.

Investigators have deemed the fire accidental, but say the case remains under investigation.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

24 Hour News 8 Links