ALLENDALE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Fire fighters responded to an Allendale Township apartment fire near Grand Valley State University Monday.

It started around 6 p.m. at Meadows Crossings Townhomes, located in the the 10000 block of 48th Avenue. Several fire departments were on scene, including the Allendale Township Fire Department, the Ottawa County dispatch told News 8. There was heavy smoke in one of the apartment units, dispatch said.

Fire fighters were able to quickly put out the fire, the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release. Two cats were in the apartment at the time, but they were not hurt.

Deputies say the apartment has significant fire and water damage.

An investigation found the fire was started in a dryer, the sheriff’s office said.

West Campus Drive was closed for over an hour due to the fire.

The fire remains under investigation.