ALLENDALE CHARTER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A barn exploded in Allendale Charter Township Friday evening, according to the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department.

It happened around 8:37 p.m. on 52nd Avenue near Jordan Street, deputies said. Sheriff’s deputies and Allendale Fire Department were dispatched to reports of a barn fire. They were told that a barn had exploded and a man was trapped inside.

When first responders arrived, they found a 37-year-old man in the barn and brought him out. The sheriff’s office said his lower extremities and abdomen were severely injured as well as burns and lacerations. He was taken to the hospital in “critical condition,” according to deputies.

In a Dec. 28 update, the sheriff’s office said the explosion is believed to be accidental. It said he was working in the barn with welding and grinding equipment. Authorities believe a spark ignited a welding tank, which caused the explosion.

The sheriff’s office praised the quick response of first responders.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department is investigating.