BEAVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — An investigation is underway in Newaygo County after a Michigan State Police trooper shot and killed a man Saturday morning.

It happened at a property near the intersection of West 10 Mile Road and Comstock Avenue in Beaver Township, between Hesperia and Bitely.

Two Michigan State Police troopers were called there around 8:50 a.m. for a report of a domestic disturbance.

“Upon their arrival and during their investigation, troopers were confronted by an armed subject which resulted in the man being shot,” said Lt. Michelle Robinson, a spokesperson for MSP. “Despite lifesaving efforts, the subject was declared deceased on scene.”

The scene on 10 Mile Road in Beaver Township where Michigan State Police troopers shot and killed someone. (May 22, 2021)

News 8 crews spoke to a man named Harry Pulsipher Sr. who says he was at the residence where the incident took place. Pulsipher says the man who was shot was his nephew, Johnny Owen King.

“He says I’m not leaving my house and the cop started towards him and he reached up, he had a little BB gun up there, he grabbed that BB gun and he brought it down,” said Pulsipher. “That’s when the guy shot him, he didn’t point it at nobody, he just brought it down off the thing.”

MSP officials could not confirm the identity of the deceased man because the investigation is ongoing.

The shooting occurred in MSP’s sixth district. Officials from MSP’s fifth district, headquartered in Paw Paw, are investigating the shooting.

Pulsipher says he, his ex-wife and King lived on the property.

He says the call to police was a result of a dispute between his ex-wife and King. MSP officials could not confirm this information due the ongoing investigation.

Pulsipher doesn’t think the incident should not have ended with a deadly outcome.

“I think they didn’t have to shoot him, they could’ve manhandled the gun out of his hand, because like I said, it was a BB gun,” Pulsipher said. “They didn’t try to do that, just bang, bang, bang.”

The troopers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave while the investigation continues.