MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WOOD) — Utility crews have capped a gas leak in Muskegon Heights that forced Edgewood Elementary school students to evacuate.
The Muskegon Heights Fire Department said it was contacted about the gas leak around 10:40 a.m. Monday. A school district representative said construction crews were working on the road at the southeast corner of school property when they hit the gas line off Howden Street just south of East Summit Avenue.
Firefighters say the potentially hazardous conditions merited moving all of the students out of the building. The children were evacuated to Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located about two blocks east off East Summit Avenue and Hoyt Street.
In a news release sent out at 11:39 a.m., Muskegon Heights Fire Chief Christopher Dean said DTE Energy had the gas leak under control and air monitoring was underway.
Muskegon Area Intermediate School District officials said firefighters gave the district the all-clear at 11:45 a.m. and students resumed classes in the building.
MAISD says the gas leak happened while crews were working on the road