Reaction to Michigan State settlement in Nassar scandal

Michigan

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Some of the women who confronted Larry Nassar in open court are reacting to their settlement with Michigan State University. 

The university will pay $500 million in what has become the worst sex-abuse case in sports history, with 332 women and girls listed as plaintiffs in lawsuits filed against Michigan State. 

“I am very happy that there has been a resolution in mediation with MSU,” Larissa Boyce said in a statement sent to 24 Hour News 8 Wednesday evening. 

Boyce has maintained she told then-MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages about Nassar’s behavior in the late 1990s, but was deterred from reporting him. 

“I hope that this settlement will help send a message to every institution that allowing sexual abuse to flourish will not be tolerated,” her statement goes on to read. “I am disappointed that we were not able to come to an agreement with non-monetary requests… even something as simple as a true apology. I will not rest until we see changes in policy at MSU and USAG and the USOC in order to further shine a light on the culture of abuse that exists in our society. Writing a check does not bring healing to me as a survivor. We still have a long way to go in order to ensure our children are safer and people will be held accountable for their actions or inaction. My healing will come through our continued fight to protect our children.”

Boyce was referring to efforts made by plaintiffs’ attorneys to get the university to agree to non-monetary actions as well, but instead the chairman of the Board of Trustees released a statement Wednesday after confirming the settlement.

Other women who have been vocal about Michigan State’s handling of the scandal are also reacting to the settlement.

Kaylee Lorincz — who previously accused Interim President John Engler of offering to settle without her attorney present — wrote on Twitter,  “I am so proud of our army of survivors for fighting the good fight for almost 2 years. This is a victory, but there is still more work to do to change the culture at MSU, as well as USAG and the USOC.”

Others echoed that the work being done by these women is not over.

“This is the most accomplished I have felt in a long time,” Lindsey Lemke wrote. “I’ve never devoted myself to something more in my life than to fight for justice from institutions who hold more power than what is imaginable. But we did it. Not the end, but this is victory.”

In a Thursday letter to the MSU community, Engler said MSU’s insurance carriers are expected “to fulfill their contractual obligations.”

“In addition, since a $500 million settlement is substantial, I will be working with the Board of Trustees in the days ahead to develop a strategy to carry out our responsibilities required by the settlement,” Engler continued.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!