GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Two weeks after a deadly shooting that killed three students and injured five others, Michigan State University has announced some changes aimed at making the campus safer.

In a release issued Wednesday, deputy spokesperson Dan Olsen said the changes come after analyzing input from students, faculty, staff, campus leaders and public safety officials. The changes focus on four things: building access, locks on doors and classrooms, active violence training and security camera systems.

“The actions we are outlining today position us on a path to reclaim our sense of safety that was so violently taken away from our community,” Interim MSU President Teresa K. Woodruff stated. “These steps will provide more robust security on campus while better preparing our community to respond in these unfortunate situations.”

The university is updating the locks on “most buildings” across the East Lansing campus and says those buildings will require key card access after regular hours starting March 13.

Locks on classroom doors — approximately 1,300 in all — will receive updated locks that can “allow instructors to secure classrooms while maintaining building and fire code compliance and allowing first responders to enter the spaces in the event of an emergency.” All locks should be installed by the beginning of the fall 2023 semester.

Also starting next fall, all students, staff and faculty will be required to complete “active violence intruder training.” That training, offered by MSU Police and Public Safety, is currently only voluntary.

Mourners leave flowers at The Rock on the grounds of Michigan State University in East Lansing, Mich., Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023.

The university also plans to add more security cameras to its network and to centralize the oversight of those systems. MSU says it already has more than 2,000 security cameras spread throughout campus; however, The Detroit News reported this week that Berkey Hall, where the shooting started, does not have any security cameras inside the building. There are cameras inside the MSU union, the shooter’s second targeted location.

Marlon Lynch, MSU’s vice president for public safety and chief of campus police, said the four changes line up with the university’s commitment to move forward and do what’s best for the safety of its students.

“Our security portfolio is multifaceted, and we’re constantly evaluating improvements and changes — seen and unseen — that strengthen safety on campus,” Lynch stated. “The actions we have outlined today, combined with internal and external reviews, position our university to be safer, more secure and better prepared into the future.”

Jason Russell, founder and president of Secure Education Consultants, is also is the father of an MSU student. Russell, who has met with facilities staff at MSU following the shooting, said he likes the university’s approach to enhancing safety so far.

“What resonated with me is that they were considering multiple layers, they were looking at the physical security, they were adding in some training elements, where they’re requiring training for staff and students which previously was voluntary,” Russell said.

He added that colleges have the difficult task of increasing security while considering how a university functions.

“Anything security you put in place you have to think about the operational cost of that, not only from a budget perspective which is certainly not important in this case but also from the ability to operate a college campus. We still need people to be able to move,” Russell said.

As students at MSU complete their spring semester, some said the shooting on campus remains fresh on their minds, including one student who is returning to the classroom for the first time this week.

“Our classrooms are wide open all the time and it’s in a building that anyone can go into. So I just think I’m going to be, not panicking, but I guess, just anxious and on the edge of my seat the whole time,” Matea Zoga, a student at MSU.

Some students said the changes will help bring them peace of mind.

“We’ll feel a lot safer, especially at night when we know people just can’t come into buildings and do something like that,” said MSU student Jesse Climie.

Meanwhile, some others on campus said the improvements are coming far too late.

“It’s telling a lot that it took a tragedy for the university to put measures like these in place,” said Abby Anderson, a student at MSU. “It’s just a filler, it doesn’t feel like they’re doing enough.”

Students said that adding the safety measures is a start, but it will take a lot more before they’re completely comfortable on campus again.

“They definitely shouldn’t stop here. They should try to implement more to make it more safe for our college and maybe other colleges in the future as well. The threat of this is high on all colleges but I do think it’s a good first step for sure,” Climie said.

The changes are the result of the Feb. 13 attack on the East Lansing campus. Dispatchers received the first calls of an active shooter inside Berkey Hall at 8:18 p.m. A campus-wide alert was sent at 8:31 p.m., telling people on campus to “run, hide, fight.” Bridge Michigan reported earlier this week that the 13-minute delay in sending the alert was because all officers left headquarters and scrambled to the scene. An off-duty officer was called and was able to issue the alert from his home computer.

At 8:40 p.m., MSU police issue another alert, issuing a campus-wide order to shelter in place. By 11 p.m., investigators were able to find the suspect on security camera footage. Two photos of the suspect were released at 11:18 p.m. A tip called in at approximately 11:35 p.m. that led officers to the suspect. At 12:27 a.m. the following day, police announced that the suspect had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The gunman was identified as 43-year-old Anthony McRae. He had no clear ties to the university prior to the shooting.

Three students, Arielle Anderson, Brian Fraser and Alexandria Verner, were killed in the shooting.

Five others were hospitalized. One of them, Troy Forbush, was released from the hospital 10 days after the shooting. The other four students remained in the hospital. On Wednesday, a hospital spokesperson confirmed one student was listed in fair condition, two were in serious condition and one remained in critical condition.