PETOSKEY, Mich. (AP/WOOD) — Michigan’s ban on flavored nicotine vaping products started Wednesday after a judge said she’s not ready to decide whether to stop it.
Court of Claims Judge Cynthia Stephens heard arguments Tuesday about an injunction sought by an Upper Peninsula store owner. The attorney general’s office says the hearing will continue on Oct. 8.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s ban was announced last month. She accuses the makers of using candy flavors and deceptive ads to hook children. Her critics say the emergency rules circumvented Michigan’s typical regulatory process.
In addition to the legal battle up north, Grand Rapids-based Mister-E’s filed a lawsuit in federal court. CEO Ron Pease talked to News 8 earlier this week and again Wednesday after clearing off shelves and removing shipments.
“We’ve had to remove all the products that are flavored and contained nicotine from our shelves. Any customers that had any orders in, we had to clear those up and out of the building,” Pease explained.
Businesses can still sell flavored products without nicotine, but new rules for advertising also prompted Mister-E’s to change labeling. Pease also said they rebuilt the website.
In addition to what’s playing out in Michigan, New York state has taken similar action to prohibit certain products.
President Donald Trump has proposed a federal ban as well.
News 8 reached out to local law enforcement about the ban and enforcement.
In response, the Grand Rapids Police Department said, “We will not be actively enforcing the new vaping statute. We will handle enforcement on a case by case basis, mostly generated from complaints. Our Vice will be handling that type of enforcement.”