Amber Alert over: Boy safe, suspects in custody

Michigan
george cunningham john stygler 031319_1552538610260.jpg.jpg

PARADISE, Mich. (WOOD) — An Amber Alert has been lifted after a 5-year-old boy who was reportedly kidnapped from his Upper Peninsula home was found early Thursday. 

Authorities confirmed the boy was found safe and the suspects in his abduction were in custody. 

Those suspects were previously identified as George Cunningham and John Stygler, both of whom were believed to be armed and dangerous.

The boy had last been seen around 7:10 p.m. Wednesday at his home in Paradise, a small community along Whitefish Bay. The boy and suspects were later seen headed north on North Whitefish Point Road in a pickup truck. That truck was later found, though the boy and suspects weren’t in it anymore. 

The Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office said the three were ultimately traced to a home along the bay. The suspects then headed out onto the ice with the child. The searchers followed their tracks and found them.

The Amber Alert was sent to phones across the Michigan around 11:45 p.m. It was lifted around 1:15 a.m. Thursday. 

Cunningham is a registered sex offender with a 2015 conviction for gross sexual imposition with a victim under the age of 13 out of Ohio. The registry lists him as a resident of Newberry, Michigan.

The Chippewa County Sheriff’s Office said one of the suspects was on parole and cut his electronic tether, though the department didn’t specify which.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!