KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — A water main break flooded a part of S. Westnedge Avenue in Kalamazoo Friday, causing lane closures and prompting a boil water advisory.
The break happened near Buchanan Street. Southbound lane closures were in effect for several hours there while crews fixed it.
Later Friday, officials announced a boil water advisory for several surrounding properties.
The break caused a drop in pressure that can allow bacteria to the system. The advisory was issued as a precaution while the water is tested to confirm it’s good to drink.
Everyone in the affected area should boil their water for two minutes before consuming it. It’s safe to bathe in the water without boiling it.
The advisory will likely be lifted by Monday.