KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Kalamazoo officials are opening some city fire hydrants to help people cool off in the extreme heat.
With heat indices expected to climb into the triple digits over the long Fourth of July weekend, the city’s public services staff plan to open the hydrants daily from 1 p.m. to dusk at the following locations:
- Building 1038 on far NW corner of Interfaith Boulevard
- Burrell Avenue and Lawrence Street
- Krom Street and E. Clay Street
- Washington Avenue and March Street
- Charlotte and Sherwood avenues at Roosevelt Apartments
- Clarence and Jackson streets
- Norway and Princeton avenues
- Fairbanks Avenue and Center Street
- N. Church Street and Norway Avenue
- Elizabeth Street between Cobb and Westnedge avenues
The city also encourages people to visit the water park at Florence Street near Burrell Avenue or the Kik Pool at Upjohn Park for relief from the sweltering conditions.
City officials hope the scheduled hydrant openings will deter others from illegally tampering with hydrants, which can lead to costly repairs.
Residents can request a fire hydrant be opened during hot weather. To do so, contact the Public Services Department at 269.337.8148.