KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Buildings along a two-block stretch of Kalamazoo’s South Burdick Street were evacuated Monday after a gas leak reached sewer lines.
The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety says a construction crew was working in the 400 block of South Burdick Street when workers hit an underground gas line, causing a leak. The gas leaked into sewer lines, forcing evacuations.
As of early Tuesday morning, the gas leak evacuation was lifted. However, KDPS said Consumers Energy crews remain on scene working to restore gas service.
Public safety officers say buildings along S. Burdick Street from W. Cedar Street to South Street were evacuated.
By around 6:45 p.m., Consumers Energy had shut off the natural gas running to the damaged line. The gas that had made its way into the sewer had dissipated.
S. Burdick was shut down between Cedar and Lovell streets while Consumers worked to fix the break and restore gas service. The road has since reopened.