EAST GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — East Grand Rapids officers say Grand Rapids police arrested a suspect in connection to a threat that led to a partial lockdown of East Grand Rapids’ middle and high schools Monday.
East Grand Rapids Public Safety Chief Mark Herald says the suspect, a man in his late 20s whose name was not released, is in the Kent County jail. His force is working with Grand Rapids police to investigate the incident.
Police say a high school student told his counselor he had been threatened by a relative.
“The threat was basically that the individual was going to shoot him at the high school,” Herald said. “It was a very credible threat. The student was a fine young man.”
The school district said the student in question was removed from the high school to ensure his safety and protect other students and staff.
The district says students could move around within the building but were not allowed to leave during the partial lockdown. Students who normally attend classes outside of the high school remained at the building and recess for elementary schools held indoors. Additionally, high school open campus lunch was canceled for Monday. The district provided free lunch for affected students.
“While we recognize this may be an inconvenience to our students, we cannot be too cautious when ensuring our students’ safety,” the district said in an earlier message to parents.
The precautionary partial lockdown at both schools was lifted at 12:45 p.m.
“Parents were obviously concerned, but we also put out that we didn’t think there was an immediate threat based on the information that we had,” the police chief said.
Herald said the schools “did exactly what they were supposed to do.” He said officers were at both schools as a precaution. The superintendent said police would remain there as long as needed.
Anyone with information in this case is encouraged to call the East Grand Rapids Public Safety Department at 616.949.7010.