GAINES TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A metro Grand Rapids man is accused of killing his father and then injuring a Kent County deputy during a struggle over a gun, authorities say.

Htet Tun, 18, faces a number of felony charges including open murder, discharge of a firearm from a vehicle causing injury, carrying a concealed weapon in a car, resisting and opposing a police officer causing injury, two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony and three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon. Arraignment could happen as early as Monday.

His father Aung Tun, 49, was found dead Thursday afternoon when deputies went to his home on Sunbrook Street SE in the area of 76th Street and Eastern Avenue in Culterville for a wellness check.

Kent County Sheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young said Tun was shot in the head and chest. She said he had been killed at a least a day before his body was found.

While detectives were on scene awaiting a search warrant, Htet Tun returned to the home, which he shared with his father. The sheriff’s office said he wouldn’t get out of his car when told to do so.

“It became evident to the detectives almost immediately that there was an assault-style weapon between his body and the door on the driver side,” LaJoye-Young told News 8 Friday. “As it became clear that the suspect had a weapon that he was intending to engage, the officers and several detectives rushed into the vehicle.”

Body camera video released by the sheriff’s office Friday shows detectives dove into the vehicle to get the rifle.

LaJoye-Young said Detective Nathan Stanton took hold of the barrel and held it pointed down to keep Tun from pointing the gun at anyone.

“There (were) … a number of people, honestly, out in the area, along with the number of officers on scene. That officer felt like the safest thing he could do was to control that weapon from being raised against anybody and decided to do that at his own risk,” the sheriff’s said. “When he had it in his hand, the suspect fired the weapon.”

Kent County Sheriff's Office Detective Nathan Stanton. (Courtesy)
Kent County Sheriff’s Office Detective Nathan Stanton. (Courtesy)

Authorities initially told News 8 that Stanton was shot in the hand but the sheriff’s office clarified Friday that he was not actually hit by a bullet. He suffered a muzzle burn to his left hand and some nerve damage.

After the shot was fired, the video shows, Tun was dragged from the car and handcuffed without anyone else being hurt.

As of Friday, Stanton had been treated at the hospital was recovering at home. He was expected to recover fully.

He has been with the department for four years.

—News 8’s Meghan Bunchman contributed to this report.