BYRON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Crime sprees are nothing new to the two Grand Rapids men accused in an overnight spree that killed a Kentwood man at an ATM late Tuesday, court records show.

They worked together in break-ins three years ago in the Grand Rapids area, court records show.

Rhishy Manning, 22, and Jaheim Hayes-Goree, 20, were arraigned Friday afternoon in 63rd District Court on felony homicide, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and weapons charges. An attorney said both maintained their innocence.

May 25, 2022, booking photos of Jaheim Hayes-Goree (left) and Rhishy Manning (right) from the Kent County jail.
May 25, 2022, booking photos of Jaheim Hayes-Goree (left) and Rhishy Manning (right) from the Kent County jail.

Deputies said they arrested a third suspect, a 23-year-old Grand Rapids man, on Thursday night. It’s not clear what charges that suspect will face.

The shooting killed 50-year-old Joseph Wilder, a married father of three who led the choir at his church.

In 2019, Manning and Hayes-Goree were co-defendants in felony break-ins at Creston Market on Plainfield Avenue NE and the former Sprint PCS store on Northland Drive NE.

Manning, who already had a criminal history, got 18 months in prison after pleading guilty to six break-ins in Kent and Ottawa counties, prison records show. He was released in October 2021 and placed on parole.

Hayes-Goree was sentenced to 182 days in jail in 2019 on two counts of breaking into buildings in Kent County, state police records show.

In the latest case, according to court records, both suspects were armed with guns as they walked up to either side of Wilder’s pickup outside an ATM late Tuesday. As Wilder tried driving away, one of the two opened fire, shooting him once in the head, records show.

An undated courtesy photo of Joseph Wilder.
An undated courtesy photo of Joseph Wilder.

The surveillance camera at the Huntington Bank ATM, 6444 S. Division Ave. near M-6, captured the attack about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. Wilder’s family said he had gone to the bank a mile from his home to make a deposit.

Wilder had just pulled up to the ATM when the suspects in an SUV drove up behind him, according to court documents. Surveillance video shows that one man from the SUV walked up to the passenger side and pointed a gun at the victim before walking to the driver’s side. The second suspect then walked up to the passenger’s side, also with a gun. Wilder put his pickup truck in drive as the first man shot and killed him.

Authorities investigating a deadly shooting in Byron Township May 25, 2022.

A witness reported hearing two shots and seeing the suspect fire a shot into the pickup, then watched the pickup continue on, crashing into a fence across the street. Investigators said they recovered two shell casings.

Deputies say the homicide was part of a crime spree that lasted about five hours Tuesday night into early Wednesday that included four robberies and a stolen car.

In court records, investigators say that after the shooting, the suspects dumped a blue Chevrolet Equinox in the 700 block of South Division Avenue and stole a white Audi. Just after 2 a.m. Wednesday, Walker police spotted the Audi and started a chase that ended with a crash at Alpine Avenue and Four Mile Road NW. Police said “multiple” people ran from the car. They arrested the accused gunmen after a search with tracking dogs and drones.

Among the evidence cited in court records: Manning and Hayes-Goree were wearing clothes that matched the clothing description from the bank’s surveillance cameras; deputies found a gun in the stolen Audi that matched one shown on the bank’s camera; and they found Manning’s phone in the Audi.

Investigators said they downloaded location data from the phone that showed it was at the Huntington Bank ATM at the time of the shooting.

The suspects were ordered held without bond in the killing. They are expected back in court next month for a hearing to determine if there is enough evidence to send the case to trial.