Court docs: Son-in-law confessed to couple’s deadly beating

Kent County

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The son-in-law of a Kent County couple found dead in their home confessed to murdering them, authorities say in court documents.

Nathan Board, 33, was arraigned Friday on two counts of open murder and two counts of felony murder in connection to the deaths of 62-year-old Patty Syrek and 66-year-old Theodore Syrek.

During his arraignment, Board said he thought he was being charged with resisting police. He also seemed confused in court and was slow to respond to basic questions from the judge.

Board is the soon-to-be ex-husband of the Syrek’s daughter. She’s the one who called authorities Tuesday to ask them to check on her parents, saying she hadn’t heard from them since Aug. 27, court documents state.

The Kent County Sheriff’s Office said its investigators found the couple dead in the bedroom of their home, located in the 9000 block of Jordan River Drive SE in Bowne Township, east of Caledonia. It’s unclear how long the Syreks had been there.

An autopsy determined the couple died from “blunt cranial cerebral trauma,” meaning they were hit in the head.

In the probable cause document, detectives said the couple’s daughter told them she was in the process of a difficult divorce with Board, who she said was on high doses of medication.

Authorities tracked down Board Tuesday and brought him to the sheriff’s office for an interview, court documents state. During the interview, authorities say he told detectives that he had recently had “a very bad month” because he was no longer on his medication and he was separated from his wife.

Detectives said Board repeatedly referred to the past week as a “blur.” However, court documents indicate Board told authorities he had a clear dream where he recalled driving and a picture of the Syrek’s home.

Board told deputies he couldn’t provide further details on what happened, but said he “felt very bad” that following day, the probable cause document states.

Authorities said Board told them during the first interview that he had previously lived at the couple’s home and had often used the garage door to access it. Detectives said in the court document that’s where they found a droplet of blood.

In a second interview a day later, authorities say Board confessed to killing the couple. In the probable cause document, detectives said he admitted to entering the home with a blunt object, sneaking upstairs to the bedroom where the couple was sleeping, and hitting them numerous times with the object.

Investigators said Board told them he was aware the couple was dead when he was leaving the home and that he had locked all of the doors before leaving.

Board was charged with assaulting, resisting or obstructing a police office Thursday, in connection to the investigation Tuesday, the undersheriff told 24 Hour News 8.

Because of the earlier charge, Board is being charged as a habitual offender in the murders, which could lead to a longer sentence if he’s convicted of the crimes.

In 2004, Board’s dad tried to have him hospitalized because he had gone off all of his medications and was refusing any counseling.

“He’s verbally and physically aggressive and I am feeling threatened,” wrote Board’s dad in a petition filed in Kent County Probate Court. “He shows extreme moods and is very wild-eyed at times.”

According to the court file, the petition for hospitalization was ultimately dismissed because Board was not picked up “within the allotted time.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links