KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Police say a gunman opened fire on a Kalamazoo Metro bus Saturday morning, injuring three people, before being fatally shot by officers.

“Unfortunately, around 9 a.m. this morning we had an active shooter at the Kalamazoo Transportation Center,” said Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety Chief Vernon Coakley. 

Coakley said Anthony Oliver, 54, got on a bus and started shooting. Three passengers were shot and wounded. Their injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Coakley said it was not yet known whether Oliver knew any of the passengers.

The bus involved in a shooting at the Kalamazoo Transportation Center on Nov. 27, 2021, is parked along Rose Street after the incident.

Officers called to the scene on a report of shots fired found an active shooter situation. Coakley said Oliver and “several” officers exchanged gunfire and Oliver was shot.

He was taken to the hospital, where he died.

No officers were hurt.

The bus was later seen parked on Rose Street, surrounded by police tape and with a police cruiser parked behind it. A News 8 crew at the bus station also saw a large area taped off, with KDPS fire blocking off access to Kalamazoo Avenue. Viewer photos showed multiple police units and ambulances. Kalamazoo County’s mobile emergency command center was later called to the scene as authorities investigated.

KDPS officers took down the tape and opened the closed-off streets around 5 p.m. 

Coakley is thankful more people weren’t hurt in the incident. 

“It’s a public place as you mentioned earlier, many people coming and going using the transportation center or just walking through,” Coakley said. 

Coakley laments KDPS having to respond to an instance of gun violence. 

“And I’ll say it right here, right now dang it, let’s pray about it,” Coakley said. “I’m going to be intentful in saying that, we gotta pray about it to stop. We as a community have to do it. Let’s do that together.”

Michigan State Police have been called in to investigate. That’s standard procedure when local officers use deadly force.

Metro bus service called off all remaining routes for the rest of the day beginning at 11:15 a.m. No Metro workers were hurt.

—News 8’s David Horak and Brittany Flowers contributed to this report.