GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Members of the Grand Rapids community and others took to the streets in downtown Grand Rapids Saturday to call for justice for the killing of Patrick Lyoya.

It was the fifth day in a row protesters marched through downtown.

Demonstrators gathered around 5 p.m., holding signs that said things like, “Justice for Patrick Lyoya,” and, “No justice, no peace.”

“We’re going to keep fighting for this because this is where we live. It’s no longer just a Minneapolis or Louisville, Kentucky thing, now it’s a Grand Rapids thing. We’ve been warning them for years of this happening,” one of the organizers told News 8 before the protest began.

After gathering at Rosa Parks Circle, more than 500 people started marching through the streets of downtown.

Police blocked off several intersections around Van Andel Arena because of a concert. As demonstrators approached the police, they started chanting, “I don’t see no riots here, so why are you in riot gear.”

Wyoming officers, Grand Rapids officers and Michigan State Police troopers were there. The crowd came face to face with police lines multiple times.

Around 8 p.m., some protest organizers tried to get demonstrators to walk away and the crowd split up into multiple groups. The largest group continued to march through downtown before running into police again at Ottawa Avenue and Michigan Street.

Around 10 p.m. the crowd, which had become much smaller, made it back to Rosa Parks Circle. Demonstrators played music and danced.

“The reason why we’re dancing is because Patrick loved to dance,” a protest leader said.

The crowd dispersed a little after 11 p.m.

The 26-year-old was shot by an officer with the Grand Rapids Police Department on the morning of April 4 on Nelson Avenue north of Griggs Street on the city’s Southeast side. The officer pulled Lyoya over around 8:11 a.m. after realizing that the plate on the car he was driving didn’t match the vehicle. GRPD has not said why the officer ran the plate.

In the videos released Wednesday by GRPD, we can see that there was a struggle that included Lyoya grabbing the officer’s Taser. The officer, who was atop Lyoya as the two struggled, ultimately shot him once in the head, killing him.

The officer’s name has not been released.

The legal side of the investigation into the shooting is being conducted by Michigan State Police. Once its investigation is done, it will be sent off to the Kent County prosecutor, who will decide whether it was justified or whether charges are warranted.

— News 8’s Byron Tollefson and Rachel Van Gilder contributed to this report.