Hourslong standoff in Grand Rapids ends; 1 arrested

Grand Rapids

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — A man is in police custody after a 12-hour standoff that sparked a shelter-in-place order for a Grand Rapids neighborhood.

It all started around 5:45 a.m. Sunday when police say an armed man broke into a home in the 200 block of Barnett Street NE, located off Leonard Street between Clancy and Lafayette avenues.

The Grand Rapids Police Department says four people were inside the home when the man broke in, but all hostages were released unharmed after several hours.

Authorities say the suspect knows the people who live in the home, although police did not identify their relationship. Police told News 8 that the suspect is a “very violent individual” and had threatened harm to neighbors and police.

“We’re extremely concerned. The negotiations that we’ve had with the individual (included) very violent talk — (he’s) very agitated, very upset. We’re very concerned for the safety of the community as well,” Sgt. Dan Adams said shortly before the standoff ended.

Police had set up a perimeter near Lafayette Ave. NE and Leonard St. NE. Michigan State Police were called to the scene to provide relief for Grand Rapids officers who have pulled long hours in response to recent protests.

A June 7, 2020 photo shows police tape surrounding the area of a standoff in Grand Rapids.

Officers asked neighbors to shelter in place and helped some evacuate from their neighborhood during the standoff. Others were asked to stay away from the area.

The standoff ended shortly after 6 p.m. Sunday. However, police are still asking people to avoid the area as detectives continue to investigate the case.

— Reporter and anchor Donovan Long contributed to this story.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Growing Grand Rapids and Beyond

More Growing Grand Rapids and beyond

Top Stories On WOODTV.com

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links