GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Work is underway on a second place to skate in Grand Rapids.
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. is transforming the lot that hosted Movies on Monroe into an ice rink. As long as the weather cooperates, the group says the rink at 555 Monroe Ave. NW should freeze over and open by the end of next week.
Skating hours will be from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free to the public.
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. usually installs the rink in Heartside Park, but decided to shift it to the Monroe North lot this year.
“We just want to show underutilized spaces can be utilized by using a little bit of imagination and creativity,” said Kim Vandriel, director of public space management for Downtown Grand Rapids Inc.
In spring, Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. told 24 Hour News 8 they moved Movies on Monroe to the parking lot at the city’s request. A grant the city received required it to utilize the space within 60 days of acquiring the land.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Court: No negligence by MI college after student kills man
- After mosque attacks, New Zealand bans 'military-style' guns
- St. Mary's gears up for March Madness game vs. Villanova
- Avoid misdiagnosis: When to get a second opinion