GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Firefighters battled flames at a house on Grand Rapids’ northeast side.
The fire started around noon Monday in the 1500 block of College Avenue NE near the corner of Marietta Street, according to Grand Rapids police. Heavy smoke could be seen from miles away.
A firefighter with a crowbar ripped off pieces of siding from the burning home while others hosed down the flames.
It’s unclear what sparked the fire, which was still keeping crews busy an hour after the initial call.
No one was injured.
Authorities say the man living inside the house safely escaped, but the home is likely a total loss. The flames also damaged siding on an adjacent home.
It’s unclear what sparked the fire, but crews say there were no working smoke alarms inside the house.