Carbon monoxide exposure caused death of 2 adults, baby in car

Grand Rapids

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The three people, including a 4-month-old, who were found dead in a car in Grand Rapids died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, officials say.

The death certificates for the three say they died of “exposure to carbon monoxide from automobile” and list the manner of death as accidental. The Kent County Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed to News 8 Tuesday that toxicology screening found toxic levels of carbon monoxide in their bloodstreams.

The three were found unresponsive in a car on Brookshire Drive north of 33rd Street in the West Millbrook neighborhood on the morning of Nov. 4. Emergency responders tried to revive them, but it was too late.

Last week, the Grand Rapids Police Department identified them as 78-year-old Ruby Roberts, 60-year-old Ellay Brown and 4-month-old Zadai Ashford. All three were from Grand Rapids.

Family on the scene said they would often sleep in the car.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Growing Grand Rapids and Beyond

More Growing Grand Rapids and beyond

Top Stories On WOODTV.com

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links