Grand Rapids apartment fire displaces residents

Grand Rapids

**Editor’s note: A previous version of this article stated that authorities said one person was hospitalized as a result of the fire. Investigators later told News 8 that no one was hospitalized.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — An apartment complex caught fire in Grand Rapids Saturday afternoon, displacing residents.

Authorities said it happened around 5 p.m. at the Millbrook Apartments on Pastiche Drive near Eastern Avenue.

Investigators said the fire started at a cooking appliance inside the home.

“This was a case where the resident is stating that they had an incident, or an issue, with their heater, so they were using an alternative method by using their electric range for heat in their apartment,” Lt. William Smith with the Grand Rapids Fire Department said. 

All occupants made it out safely. Authorities said a couple units have significant damage and that five people were displaced.

Fire investigators on scene told News 8 there were conflicting reports regarding injuries. While dispatch initially told News 8 one person was hospitalized after the fire, we later learned from investigators there were no injuries. One resident was checked and cleared by medical officials on scene but insisted on taking herself to the hospital afterward. 

The Red Cross is working with the residents who were displaced, investigators say.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links