BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WOOD) — After union workers rejected a tentative agreement with Kellogg’s that would have ended a two-month strike, the company has announced that it will look to hire replacement employees.

Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union chapters voted Sunday to reject the deal. The union said the no vote was “overwhelming.”

That means about 1,400 workers at seven Kellogg’s cereal plants in Battle Creek, Pennsylvania, Nebraska and Tennessee will continue the strike, which began Oct. 5.

“The members have spoken. The strike continues. The International Union will continue to provide full support to our striking Kellogg’s members,” BCTGM International President Anthony Shelton said in a Tuesday statement. “The BCTGM is grateful for the outpouring of fraternal support we received from across the labor movement for our striking members at Kellogg’s. Solidarity is critical to this fight.”

Announced last week, the five-year deal would have included 3% raises and a continuation of health benefits, cost-of-living adjustments beginning in the second year and an alteration to the two-tiered wage system that was a sticking point in negotiations.

BCTGM Local 3G President Trevor Bidelman told News 8 last week that he did not think the 3% wage increase was enough considering the current economic climate and rate of inflation. He also didn’t think the contract did enough to protect job security, noting that about 200 jobs at a Battle Creek plant are still going to be moved elsewhere by the end of 2023.

Bidelman said that the International Union will make contact with Kellogg North America to let the company know the offer was rejected.

“At that point it will be up to them and setting dates for negotiations,” Bidelman said.

With no deal reached, Kellogg North America President Chris Hood said that the company will take the necessary steps to ensure that business continues.

“After 19 negotiation sessions in 2021, and still no deal reached, we will continue to focus on moving forward to operate our business,” Hood said. “The prolonged work stoppage has left us no choice but to continue executing the next phase of our contingency plan including hiring replacement employees in positions vacated by striking workers.”

The company has not said how many replacement employees it is looking to hire or when that process will begin.