Generator sparks house fire near South Haven

Allegan County

Authorities respond to a house fire in Casco Township Monday, July 20, 2020. (South Haven Area Emergency Services)

CASCO TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Fire officials say a generator sparked a fire that damaged a house north of South Haven Monday.

The South Haven Area Emergency Services said around 8:45 p.m. firefighters responded to the fire at a house on Blue Star Memorial Highway near the intersection of North Shore Drive in Casco Township.

The homeowner told authorities that he was trying to start a recently purchased generator when it burst into flames. He wasn’t able to call for help but drove about a mile to the SHAES fire station, according to a SHAES news release.

When firefighters arrived on scene, the fire had spread into the house and attic, the release said.

There were no reports of injuries. Firefighters believed a family cat may have been killed in the fire, but the owner found the cat alive.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links