W. MI colleges offer housing options as pandemic worsens


GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — As the pandemic worsens, more college campuses might have to close their buildings. This may cause students to move out of their residence halls sooner due to COVID-19.

Grand Valley State University and Western Michigan University are both offering students credits if they do leave campus early because of the pandemic.

For GVSU, students must request the credits in order to receive them. They’ll be issued the week of Nov. 30. The credits are for unused housing, dining and parking.

If the university has to close residential housing, officials say they will likely do things similar to how they did it in March. Students will receive a prorated refund for whatever is left of their housing and dining contract.

For WMU, students can choose to live in the dorms until the end of the semester in December. If they want to leave early on Nov. 20 before Thanksgiving, they may also be eligible for a housing credit as well.

The credits are $860 for students with a meal plan and $430 for students without a meal plan during the fall semester. The money will be placed on the student’s university account.

Students who do not want to live on WMU’s campus because of COVID-19 can request to cancel their housing contract. A fee may apply depending on their classes and when they cancel. This can be done online through the university’s housing portal.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

COVID-19 Vaccine FAQs

More COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ

Top Stories On WOODTV.com

Know something newsworthy? Report It!

News 8 Links