GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — If you can’t get going without a good cup of coffee in the morning, but are trying to watch your calories, there are ways to get the best of both worlds. Here is some helpful advice on how to “skinny up” your coffee drinks.
Naturally Flavor Your Coffee
If you simply want a little extra flavor, Kerri-Ann Jennings has some simple tips on how to spice up your coffee naturally.
Homemade Coffee Creamer
Don’t forgo that creamy cup of coffee. Make it a little lighter and more healthy with natural ingredients with this recipe from Mrs. Happy Homemaker. Bonus – she has several recipes to make flavored creamer.
A Healthier Cup
Enjoy your coffee without forgoing nutrition. Cleveland Clinic offers some of the best sweeteners and milks that maximize health benefits.
At the Coffee Shop
- “Skinny” normally means non-fat milk and/or sugar free syrup. If either of these makes you queasy, go for one or the other.
- Leave out the whipped cream and/or extra toppings and drizzle. They’re basically just extra sugar and calories.
- Instead of a heavy latte, order black coffee with flavor added. Choose from sugar-free syrups for a calorie-free option.
- Order light flavor. Many coffee drinks have four to eight pumps of syrup depending on the size and type of drink. Cut those in half for a sweet drink that’s a little lighter.
- Order a smaller size coffee drink. The smaller size, the fewer the calories. Add an extra shot of espresso if you need the jolt.