It’s football season… time to fire up the grill. It’s fun and easy to create a healthy, well-balanced get together when you swap a few items here and there. Chef Jen is here with some healthier alternatives to traditional tailgating!
Macaroni Salad with Edamame
Serves 12 (1 cup each)
All you need:
- 3 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni noodles (or gluten-free elbow macaroni if needed)
- ¾ cup mayo
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon celery seed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach
- ¾ cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1/3 cup 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese
All you do:
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper in a small bowl.
- When noodles have cooled, add celery, carrots, onion, spinach, edamame and the mayonnaise mixture; stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese right before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving: 190 calories; 7g fat (2g saturated fat); 13mg cholesterol; 28g carbohydrate; 366mg sodium; 3g fiber; 7g protein
Learn more: https://chefjen.com/