Winter Weather Advisory Ends at 10 am

Bill's Blog

Advisory until 10 am

The Winter Weather Advisory for Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta and Isabella Counties to the north will end at 10 am. Driving home at 3 am – I saw 3 salt trucks on the 131 expressway. Side streets did have icy spots. There was a very light mist and my car thermometer said 33 degrees. Temperatures ranged from 31 at Mt. Pleasant to 37 at Benton Harbor. You can check the WOOD-TV Closing Page to see if any schools are closed (there shouldn’t be many). Here’s the latest G.R. NWS forecasts discussion, current Michigan weather observations and a Michigan surface weather map.

A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for much of the area overnight.

There is a chance of a period of mist or drizzle. Here’s a link to local radar and here’s regional radar:

Central Great Lakes sector

Go to: Loop of this image Conditions will improve in most areas by midday Tuesday as the precipitation clears out and temperatures rise to the mid 30s (above freezing). Colder air will move in for Wed. and Thu.

There’s going to be more heavy rain across the South, where significant flooding is occurring, especially in Mississippi and Alabama. More heavy mountain snows will keep skiers in the Western U.S. happy.

High Temps. Forecast for Alaska Sun. PM 2 16 20

While much of the contiguous U.S., including the Great Lakes, have had a mild winter, much of Alaska has had the coldest winter since at least 2012. These are high temperatures forecast for this Sunday PM. The real cold is in the north half of Alaska and some temperatures near the Arctic Circle may see highs of -25 to -30.

The lowest temp. in AK Saturday AM was -53 at Fort Yukon. Northway dipped to -47. Fairbanks had a low temp. of -37. At 10 pm Alaska Standard Time, Point Lay was reporting a temp. of -40 with a wind chill factor of -65. Deadhorse was -44 and Eagle reported -45.

Also: Daytona 500 – partly sunny – temps. low-mid 70s – 30% chance of a brief shower (70% chance of no rain at all). This is interesting – link shows all the weather advisories and warnings in the first half of February – the purple in Lower Michigan is Winter Weather Advisories. Eagles. The fraught future of recycling. Very windy in NW Europe. Try landing a plane in high winds. Sundog. Halo.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Weather Tools