WALKER, Mich. (WOOD) - A pedestrian died after getting struck by two cars in Walker Friday night.
The incident happened at around 10:30 p.m. on Wilson Avenue at Chesterfield Drive.
Officials told 24 Hour News 8 that a man was trying to cross Wilson Avenue and was struck by a car traveling north on Wilson. After the man was hit by the first car, he ended up in the middle of the roadway.
"I've seen some pretty bad ones right here at this intersection," said Jen Hoezee who lives at that intersection.
Hoezee said unfortunately crashes at that intersection are not uncommon.
"It was actually the third one this week. So we are used to getting up and running outside to see if everyone is okay."
Hoezee told 24 Hour News 8 Friday's crash sounded different from the ones earlier in the week.
"Generally we hear a squeal before the thud. There were no tire screeches it was just a thud, and it was a thud rather than a boom. It didn't resonate like the other ones do."
The man was then hit by a second car on Wilson Avenue. The second car kept driving with the pedestrian stuck under the car. The victim was not dislodged from the car until the driver made a turn at Remembrance Road.
Hoezee said when she went outside she could see the car that first hit the man and could also see some of the victim's possessions in the road. She found his hat, his keys, and his checkbook, but she could not find the man that was hit.
"We searched until 1 a.m. We were going through the woods and looking under trees. We thought maybe he had gotten up and ran because of adrenaline or something and we were really concerned about him but never found him," said Hoezee.
The crash remains under investigation and it is unknown if any arrests have been made.
The identity of the victim is also being withheld at this time.
"To me it just seems so odd, so disturbing that he was drug so far. I mean, it's terrible."
The Michigan House has put off voting on legislation to hold back third-graders who aren't proficient in reading and grade public schools from A to F instead of colors.
Kent County prosecutors say they are charging a man with the sexual assault of a 77-year-old woman in her southeast Grand Rapids home.
Kent County sheriff’s investigators say what was initially believed to be an armed robbery at a Subway restaurant in Alpine Township Tuesday was actually staged.