24 Hour News 8 web staff - DETROIT (WOOD) -- New England Patriots Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia is expected to be named the next head coach of the Detroit Lions, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Schefter reported Sunday the Lions need to agree to terms with Patricia, as well as work out contract details, which can only happen after the Patriots' season ends. The Patriots will play in the AFC Championship Game Sunday, January 21.
The Lions have been looking for a new coach since firing Jim Caldwell on New Year's Day. Caldwell was 36-28 in four seasons and went 0-2 in two postseasons with the Lions. The Lions finished 9-7 in 2017, missing the playoffs.
According to the team's website, Patricia has been the Patriots' defensive coordinator since 2012. He's been with the team since 2004.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Pilot dies after small plane crashes in mid-Michigan
- Trump says he is "considering" veto of $1.3 trillion budget
- Police investigating what sickened Wyoming students
- No school in Hastings Friday due to threat