The Associated Press - MOSCOW (AP) -- Russian media are reporting that a gunman opened fire with a hunting rifle on churchgoers leaving a service in the Dagestan region, killing four people and wounding four others. Police then killed the assailant.
The shooting took place Sunday evening in Kizlyar, a town of about 50,000 people on the border with Chechnya.
State news agency Tass cited Mayor Alexander Shuvalov as saying four people were killed and four wounded.
The motive for the shooting was not immediately known.
Dagestan is a predominantly Muslim region between Chechnya and the Caspian Sea. Following two separatist wars in neighboring Chechnya, an Islamist insurgency spread to Dagestan.
Congressional Gold Medal being...
Man who caused fatal Kzoo crash was...
- Copyright 2018 Cable News Network/Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Man who caused fatal Kzoo crash was fleeing police
- Final spending bill leaves out ‘dreamers,' major wall money
- Kzoo issues advisory after sewer overflow
- GVSU announces search committee for new president