24 Hour News 8 web staff - SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) –- Investigators are looking into what led up to a drowning in Ottawa County Thursday night.
Deputies say Joseph Thompson, 69, of Spring Lake drowned after he and family members were trying to dock their boat at Petty's Bayou boat deck on N. Fruitport Road around 10:15 p.m.
Family members say Thompson walked away while his relative was trying to trailer the boat and never returned.
Thompson was later found by his family in some brush in the water located west of the dock.
He was pulled from the water by emergency responders and taken to North Ottawa Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The Ottawa County Sheriff's Office is investigating how Thompson ended up in the water.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Paw Paw parents skeptical about school safety
- Portage Central Elementary principal on paid leave
- Suspect will stand trial in slain teen's rape
- No school in Bangor Thursday due to threat